Wednesday, February 3, 2010

The "Hope for Haiti" Telethon, and What I Realized About the Last Decade in Popular Music


The Haiti earthquake has hit a delicate nerve in many of us. Like Hurricane Katrina over four years ago, it has struck our innermost fears of what happens when an unprepared urban area is hit by a natural disaster. We have also gasped in shock as the sheer desperation and consistently harrowing plight of a nation, located just down the road from our own, has suddenly unfolded before our eyes. With all the troubles we are currently facing here in the United States, it is heartwarming to realize that we are still capable of putting aside our sociopolitical differences in order to help those in more dire need than us.

The dozen or so artists who performed during the Hope for Haiti telethon two weeks ago were a clear representation of this American sentiment. From Mary J. Blige's booming "Hard Times Come Again No More," to Stevie Wonder's soaring, gospel-infused take on "Bridge Over Troubled Water," the night was filled with powerful performances. This century's artists did not disappoint either. Jennifer Hudson, Shakira, Taylor Swift and others each turned in emotionally-charged performances that showcased their unique musical talents.

As the performances went on, however, as much as I wanted to bask in the still-awe-inspiring collective of American musicianship on display, I couldn't help but shake my head in disappointment. This had nothing to do with the actual performances themselves, mind you, but was due to a pent-up peeve that has been slowly building inside me for a long time. It just seems, to me at least, that over the last decade there hasn't been much of a parallel between the talent of this generation's artists and their overall creative output. I mean, how is it that Stevie Wonder released Music of My Mind, Talking Book, Innervisions, Fulfillingness's First Finale and Songs in the Key of Life over a five-year period, while John Legend, with all his ability, has only put out three better-than-average albums in six?

Much of the blame for the decline of the record industry has been placed on the overall laziness of industry executives and consumers alike. We are no longer willing to pay much, if anything, for our music, which has made it difficult for companies to figure out what we like as money becomes increasingly obsolete as a measure of popularity. On the other hand, industry heads have done next to nothing to find innovative ways of building new artists and extending the careers of established veterans. The greatest changes brought about recently in the distribution of music (the iPod, MySpace, etc.) have come from people who do not work in the industry itself.

And as this lackadaisical attitude has spread from bottom to top, those in the middle, the actual artists themselves, have gotten used to taking the same route. So many pop songs nowadays are based on the same chord progressions that I lost count a long time ago*. And to make matters worse, most productions, even from former greats like Timbaland and Kanye West, are literally phoned in, substituting real instruments** for crappy keyboard imitations.

The following is a list of gen-now artists who performed during the telethon, with accompanying videos. From what I saw that night, and from what I've seen/heard in a few songs and performances from years past, I can't help but believe that given their collective talent, many of our most popular musicians working today can do much, much more.

Justin Timberlake
Beyonce
Alicia Keys
Coldplay
Christina Aguilera

I have some advice for each of you, which I hope you will take into account as you pursue your future musical endeavors.

Justin Timberlake



Okay, so you're from the 90s if one counts your days with N'SYNC. But I'll let you off the hook, because not only were you able to break away from that stigma in the 00s (unlike any other former boy band member), but you did it by proving to the world that you were a unique talent on your own. Unfortunately, after you brought sexy back, you decided to focus on honing your acting and producing skills. No offense, but as far as I can tell, that has led to a supporting role in "The Love Guru,"*** and musically, every song you have produced since "What Goes Around.../...Comes Around" has been a carbon copy of, well, "What Goes Around.../...Comes Around." (need proof? Listen to "Dead and Gone" and "Rehab.") Judging by your first two solo albums, you have a knack for working with producers who are just hitting their pop stride (The Neptunes for Justified, Timbaland for FS/LS) -- may I suggest crafting your next album with Mark Ronson? He's worked primarily with females (Amy Winehouse, Lily Allen), but both of you have a Neo-Soul/Hip-Hop/Pop style that might work great if your minds are in the right place at the right time.

Beyonce



Ditto with J.T. regarding your non-solo past (a la Destiny's Child). Beginning with "Crazy In Love" (one of the best pop songs ever), you have emerged as one of the world's most bankable music stars. Whenever it seems like your airtime is waning, you always whack us over the head with another killer single. You're an electrifying live performer, dancing in high heels (mad respect) while belting out your already-difficult-to-sing songs -- at your best you are a live cross between Etta James and Tina Turner (I must admit, I dig the all-female band too). You have also established yourself as a phenomenal I-can-portray-singers-from-the-1950s-and-60s actress (Dreamgirls, Cadillac Records), so with all of this at your back it's safe to say that you're an all-around cultural juggernaut. But I would like to see some more albums, not just a new #1 every four months. Your three sporadic singles collections (I'm sorry, but that's what they are) thus far have not represented your fullest potential. I recommend replicating the blueprint for your musical success so far, albeit more frequently. This means putting out at least one album each year, not every two or three. The more time you spend in the studio, the more you'll get your creative juices flowing, and if all goes well you will have an entire album full of "Deja Vu"'s. I think it'll happen eventually.****

Alicia Keys



You've got the quadri-fecta, my friend: you can sing, play, write, and produce. So stop half-assing everything! A bagillion people loved "No One," which lyrically and vocally is understandable -- but the fact that you couldn't even take the time to use real drums instead of an 808***** really pisses me off. Also, the melody is a blatant rip-off of "Where is the Love?," which in and of itself is a slowed-down version of "Don't Stop Believin'." Excuse me if I'm sounding particularly harsh -- on the plus side, your cross-generational appeal means that of all the artists mentioned here, you'll probably be the one sticking around the longest. If anything, this gives you more reason not to rush your product -- I know that a five-star classic will come from you eventually, even if it's at 92, so long as you put the effort into it. People got hooked on you like you were phonics because you entered the scene as someone with raw talent and original ideas. Like Beyonce, you should spend more time in the studio, and I think it would be of great help for you to have your live band back you up. But don't take my word for it.

Coldplay



There is a large group of musical elitists (whom I often consider myself to be a part of) out there that likes...loves to hate on you guys a lot. Just to let you know, they're only doing it because they're jealous. Jealous because, a) y'all said you wanted to be the biggest band in the world (when U2 isn't touring, of course) and then actually did it; and b) y'all did it through making some fine, stadium-worthy tunes (as much as it disappoints me, I can't place my bets on Iron & Wine playing the Garden anytime soon). So really, from a musical standpoint you're in a position where you guys can do what thou wilt, and still be huge. So do just that! Experiment with hip-hop! Write a bagpipe-infused, Afro-beat rock opera!!! Record an entire album of feedback for all I care!!! (Actually, on second thought don't try the last one -- probably the only time I wouldn't recommend taking a page from Lou Reed.******) Just try something different, if only because you have more than proven yourselves within your current realm.

Christina Aguilera



Oh, Christina. Where do I even begin? It was love at first sight when the braces-laden yours truly saw you in the "Genie in a Bottle" video...although I can't say I remember how the song went. In your near twelve years as a popular recording/performing artist, you have only released three albums (not counting a Spanish-language one). Unacceptable. I say this because you might just be the best singer on the planet. Seriously -- you would probably win World Idol if there was one. Ever since I heard your track on Herbie Hancock's Possibilities album, I knew that you had an amazing voice and a solid range of influences. I am saddened that you are maybe the most naturally gifted of all the musicians on this list, and yet you have next to nothing to show for it. I've been reading extensively on your new album, for which M.I.A., Santigold, Goldfrapp, and others are rumored to have contributed to. This is great news if it turns out to be something special, but until I hear the whole thing I worry that there'll be too much production in the way of your voice. If you team up with Rick Rubin, sit in a room with a piano, a bass, a saxophone and a drum set, and record an album of jazz standards, I will be in heaven. Please don't spend any more time putting your abilities to waste. Thank you.

If you are still reading this, I commend you. Music is among our most natural and beautiful attributes, and for those who are most capable of wowing us all to let their skills hang in the balance is disconcerting to me. Hopefully, we can expect better things from our most cherished musical artists in the coming years. For their own sakes, they better start moving fast -- Lady Gaga is on pace to leave them all in the dust.*******



* Listen to "Apologize," "Bleeding Love," "I'm Yours," "Move Along," "The Scientist," "Love in this Club," etc.

** Yes, real instruments, the one constant in popular music for the last, I don't know...three million years or so.

*** Mr. Timberlake will next be starring in The Social Network, written by Aaron Sorkin and directed by David Fincher (Se7en, Fight Club, Zodiac, etc.), and scheduled for release later this year. If it's good, I will personally absorb all offense taken.

**** While you are busy improving upon your musical portfolio, if you could also make the time to grace another Sports Illustrated Swimsuit cover, I will be eternally grateful.

***** Don't get me wrong, I adore 808 drum machines. Without them, hip-hop would not be possible. I just hate it when artists hastily tack them onto songs that would be better off with more percussion.

****** The Lou Reed album I'm referring to is called Metal Machine Music. Unless you truly care about how industrial rock (Nine Inch Nails, etc.) arguably got it's start, you will be doing your ears, brain, and whoever else happens to be near you a favor by not listening to it.

*******



No comments:

Post a Comment